Friday, April 29, 2016

A Post From The Sea

I just thought I would post a quick note from my cabin on board the Interislander ferry.

I am currently in the Cook Straight between the North and South islands of New Zealand.

Nick and I are taking his boys to their grandparents in Napier before we head back to Wellington so I can interview former Prime Minister Sir Geoffrey Palmer.

I am supposed to be studying for my Criminal Law midterm but I keep reading the same paragraph about omissions over and over again.

I rented the cabin for myself so I could have some peace and quiet for studying but instead, the couple in the cabin next to me were having loud sex and a number of people walking by my window were gawking in at me.

On the pro side I do have my own bathroom and a nifty little desk to study at and decent internet access. I have also pulled the curtains so there will be no more drive by gawkings.

It's taken me a while to warm to being on boats again because I seem to associate all of them with my unhappy time in the Coast Guard. Each time I board one I have to remind myself that I am a paying passenger or guest, not the indentured servant of tyrants.

You may wonder why I am going to speak with a former Prime Minister. Well here it is; in 2011 I presented a paper about Israel's attack on the Gaza Freedom Flotilla in international waters. At the same time Sir Geoffrey released his findings on the incident to the United Nations in what was termed "The Palmer Report."

The report left me with many unanswered questions.

When I began working in the law office I became aware that the Sir Geoffrey Palmer frequently mentioned in Law Society publications was the same man who wrote The Palmer Report.

Through my boss and an associate of his I was put in touch with Sir Geoffrey.

I am looking forward to getting some of my questions answered.

And yes, it is really something to live in a country where you can sit down with former a Prime Minister to ask some pressing questions, or interview the current Prime Minister at a ground breaking ceremony, or run into a NZ film producer on the street and have a casual chat about how much you like his work.

Now back to my studies.

No comments:

Post a Comment