Saturday, April 2, 2016

A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Car

Over the Easter weekend I went up north to visit my uncle and met a lovely French gal named Souhela. She was headed down to Akaroa so we took her back through Christchurch and I drove her out to the Banks peninsula.

Although I will sound like an absolute Californian saying this, I love being around Souhela because she has good energy. She is so interesting. She likes Korean films and has visited Bolivia and Peru. Her parents are from Algeria and she has worked as a nurse in Paris.

Today I took her to Willowbank so we could hang out with the keas and watch the kiwis wonder around in their dark enclosure.

A kiss from Kati
On the way to check out the Capuchin monkeys she spotted some stunning Fly Amanita and as I was taking pictures of them a little fantail flew around above me.


Sou is about to do a tour of other parts of the South Island and has realized she needs some warmer clothes so I took her to Riccarton Mall for a browse.

This mall has a K-Mart in it. I don't care what y'all think, it's hip as hell and has reasonable prices on basic clothing and home goods. So there.

Anyway, as we were leaving the mall I looked to my right and noticed a man that looked exactly like New Zealand film director and actor Taika Waititi.

Who is Taika Waititi? He's best mates with Jemaine Clement of Flight of the Conchords fame and also the writer behind the comedies "Eagle vs Shark," "Boy," and "What We Do In The Shadows."

I fell into step behind him.When a man walking towards us stopped him to ask for an autograph I knew it was him after all.

I said hello and asked what he was doing in Christchurch. He said he was visiting for a Q & A about his new film "Hunt for the Wilderpeople."

I said I hadn't seen it yet but that I liked the film "Boy" and I enjoyed watching him as presenter for the latest New Zealand music awards. I told him I thought his performance was a bit edgy and his eyes twinkled and he said, "it was a bit edgy."

And then I realized all this time Souhela must have been wondering what the hell was going on so I gave a very clumsy explanation of who he was in French and then I asked if she had any paper I could get him to sign. She didn't.

But she did have a nice camera on her phone so I got this:


To recap, I hung out with Souhela and the keas, got some cheap pj pants from K-Mart and got a picture with an extremely talented New Zealand artist. We also had some Korean food for dinner.

It was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment