Monday, July 31, 2017

The Kea Database

The Kea Conservation Trust has just launched the kea database where scientists and members of the public can report kea sightings.

Thanks to the banding efforts of several volunteers I was able to positively identify some of the birds I observed while staying in Otira.

My beloved number 4 is actually called Trillian and she's alive and well.

Another bird I called 7 is named Screech and I was able to provide a photo of him for the website. I even got photo credit.

There. I've done my bit.

Should I get the chance to spend another week out Arthur's Pass way, I can now share my data and make a small contribution to monitoring the survival of my favorite New Zealand bird.

For more info: keadatabase.nz

Trillian asserts herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment