Friday, October 20, 2017

A Song That Brings Hope

We finally have a new government and a new Prime Minister in New Zealand.

Jacinda won and Labour has formed a coalition government with the Greens and New Zealand First.

After keeping us in suspense for several weeks, Winston Peters finally made his choice.

So shines a good deed in a weary world.

With all the mind numbing stupidity brought by the Tangerine Prince of Comb-overs, it's really uplifting to have a woman of my age getting ready to take the reigns of power in this country.

Today I made a discovery that has given me so much happiness.

I know the birds in my garden. I know their Latin, common and Maori names. I know their songs and nesting habits. I know if they're natives or were introduced from Australia or Europe.

Recently I noticed a clear and lovely voice which rang out above all the others.

It was solitary and never answered by another of its kind.

I had a suspicion it was a bell bird or Korimako but I was doubtful because they've been driven out of this part of the Canterbury by the loss of habitat.

They are nectar eaters who love the blossoms of the flax plant and kowhai.

This afternoon I went outside and tried to pinpoint the source of the beautiful song.

My house has several large, established trees and flax plants.

I crept among the trees and looked up whenever the song was repeated.

And then I spotted it-a solitary bell bird flitting through the branches.

I mimicked it's song and it flew closer and answered mine.

If you ever go into the bush and start whistling all the nearby bell birds will hop over to check you out. This happened the first time I visited my uncle's house. His property is filled with manuka trees which they also love.

It gives me an enormous sense of well being to find this bird in my garden.

I know if we Cantabrians work to restore the native habitat, these birds will return and join the dawn chorus as they did before.

No comments:

Post a Comment