Saturday, March 12, 2016

How To Break Your Finger In The Most Kiwi Way Possible

The sheep have been moved into the orchard by the house again. The NPR noticed that one of them had a blue plastic string caught around her back leg and that she was dragging a long bit around.

I went out to try and cut her free but she ran off.

Yesterday when I was coming home I saw that she had become tangled in the string and was stuck to a branch.

To get to her I had to wander into a narrow fenced section that runs between the driveway and a large field. There are trees planted through this section and large branches had fallen everywhere so it was easy to trip.

When I got to the sheep she freaked out and started thrashing around. I tried to calm her but to no avail. She finally snapped the branch and ran off. As I attempted to follow, I tripped over a branch fell against the barbed wire fence and then proceed to land on my finger and break it.

The wire had ripped a hole in my favorite sweater.

Still, I pursued the sheep until she got caught on another branch. I got down on all fours behind a tree where she couldn't see me and reached out to snip her free. I managed to cut off the excess string but the part binding her back leg was still in place. She limped off to join the rest of the mob and I decided I had had enough.

I squeezed through some of the lower, non barbed wired and dusted off my jeans as I walked down the driveway.

My pinkie finger was killing me and it later puffed up like a little sausage.

I sent an email to the landlord so he and his working dogs can handle the string issue.

I sewed up the rip in my sweater with good results and I've decided to tape my injured finger to its neighbor as a sort of splint.

And that concludes this episode of How to Injure Yourself in the Most Kiwi Way Possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment