Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Thursday and the New Year

I had a few hours observation in the morning at Death’s Corner where 7 was again present.


7 was shy at first but a combination of small almond bits and insatiable curiosity over what I was doing with my notebook and pen overwhelmed him in the end and he stayed quite close. At one point he took a firm grip on the edge of my notebook and gave it a short tug.

7 enjoys the wind in his hair.

I have found a round stone structure with a moss covered top that I lay on so I can peer into the surrounding bush. I call it my layby. When the kea groups move around I usually follow them and try to sit at a level that is closer to their height.

Many of the kea had pollen stained feathers around their beaks.

Yesterday 7 landed on a car and began to pick at the rubber on one of the windows. He was chased to my car by a combined group of tourists who then tried to shoo him away but I told them not to bother. The car’s paint is faded and cracked in places and I’m not sure it will pass another warrant of fitness to stay road worthy. In short, a bit more picking won’t hurt.

The car had been sitting in the sun for about two hours and the metal was hot to the touch. 7 was having such a lovely time posing and being admired by a group of about eight tourists that he tried to overlook the burning sensation in the bottom of his feet by first lifting one foot and then shifting to the other to comic effect. Finally the heat was too much for him and he flew off into the mountains.

I have been in the habit of observing in the morning to around midday and then going on an easy hike on one of the nearby trails. Just before I left DC the Westpac helicopter flew over and I assumed a tramper had been injured and activated their location beacon.

I drove to the trail head of Devil’s Punchbowl and huffed and puffed my way up the mountain. 


Two other helicopters flew over and I got the impression there was a disaster somewhere down the road. 
Piripiri growing along the path to the Devil's Punchbowl 

When I reached the highway I found that the road was closed and traffic was backed up through Arthur’s Pass village.

I asked a woman what happened and she said a tourist bus had lost breaking power down one of the hills and crashed. Three people had been seriously injured. I parked the car in the shade and decided to go to the Wobbly Kea for an ice cream.

News spread through the crowd that the road would be closed for an additional four hours. Some people turned and went back toward Christchurch others left their cars to buy food and chat with each other.

I bought an ice cream and later a chicken curry and took up one end of a comfy blue coach with a German gal on the other end. It was funny, she was reading a scholarly journal in German and I was reading a scholarly book on Kea. At one point I pulled out my journal to amend some of my notes and a bit later she pulled out a journal and wrote some notes. We chatted briefly about the accident but mainly sat in silence reading. Two hours later the road was reopened and she went on her way and I went to the car. We wished each other well.

My car was parked on the opposite side of the road so I crossed it to a truck that was waiting to go and asked if they would let me pull out in front when the traffic started moving. The general consensus in the car was that they would not.

“You’ve been sitting in this heat for hours and you’re ready to go, I understand,” I said.

I went to the car and put on my turn signal. Once the traffic started to move the man in the truck made a waving gesture with his hand. They had changed their minds and decided to allow me in. I waved and blew a couple of kissed as I pulled out and got on my way.

The accident happened on a sharp curve past the Otira viaduct. The bus had flipped on its side and a burning smell still hung in the air as I drove past. Another crumpled car had been loaded onto a wrecker.

Three serious injuries were reported after the wreck.

Apparently when the bus lost control it smashed into another vehicle. The bus was driven by a kiwi but filled with Chinese tourists. Passing motorists had pulled over and broken bus windows to help free the tourists. They offered water and comfort to the injured.

Good Kiwi sorts helping out those in need.

The Otira hotel had become a hub of activity and one reporter was still on the scene when I arrived. Ian let me use his laptop to read about the accident.

He told me some of my neighbours were having a New Year’s party later and that I was welcome to go. I was pleased although I ended up falling asleep at around 11pm and only becoming half-awake with the setting off of fireworks around midnight.

I met the gallery owner next door and his wife who did a PhD on women’s mana within her iwi. We had a chat about research.

I fed the mama kune kune an apple and one of the Clydesdales got a pear which he obliterated. I saw what must have been an escaped pet rabbit nibbling grass behind the hotel. He was white with dark grey spots and he let me get quite close before he hopped off slowly to another grazing patch.
I had a few text messages from Nick that made me think he was coming for a visit so I waited expectantly for him. He never showed up and I got too sleepy to stay awake.

It’s 8:30 on New Year’s Day and I’m going to go have a bath and head out to Death’s Corner. 

(More notes on morning observations to follow) 

No comments:

Post a Comment