Monday, October 13, 2014

Visiting With Kea In Arthur's Pass

There is something reassuring and exciting for me when I see the snow capped Southern Alps.

I used to gaze on them as I drove to work every morning and feel some stirring that I couldn't quite express.

Last Friday, Nick's mum offered to take the baby so I could have a day out and I decided to drive to Arthur's Pass and look for Kea.



The drive takes about two hours and passes through the Canterbury plain before a slow climb up into the hills.

It is spring here and there are trees bursting with cherry blossoms.

I love long, scenic drives and this one was perfect.

I checked for Kea at the three locations where I knew they would visit but had no luck except for one bird that flew off before I could get close.

In between my searches, I climbed most of the way up the Temple Basin Track and managed to twist my ankle several times on the way back down.

Temple Basin

At about 4 p.m. I pulled up to Death's Corner and saw a couple with a stalled van.

They were from the Czech republic and the man was trying to fill the radiator with water but he didn't have enough. I gave him a large water bottle I had purchased in the village.

Two Kea had flown in silently while I was taking in the view and were walking around beneath the stalled van.



The birds were both juvenile. One male and one female. Neither of them had been banded.

The two had discovered some peanuts thrown on the ground and took turns hopping cautiously toward them while keeping an eye on me as I sat nearby.

The male set his crown feathers on edge to show dominance toward the female and if she didn't get out of his way fast enough he would chase her off.

The female Kea.

While she maintained her distance, the male would take a peanut in his claw and eat it a few inches away from me.


The male Kea.
I hadn't realized how accustomed I am to the more tame Kea at Willowbank. They take liberties with my boots and bags and whatever I happen to be wearing because they are used to people in their enclosure and to me in particular.

These two were cautious and  I imagine it comes from being wild and young and still learning about humans.

One of the Czech tourists took this pic for me.

Both birds appeared to be in good health.

I left after about 30 minutes of observation and headed home.

One day I would like to rent a small cabin in Arthur's Pass, get a research grant and stay a while to study the Kea.

No comments:

Post a Comment